Friday, June 18, 2010

day 8

Yesterdays pretty is brought to you by the amazing properties of coffee. Better late than never? Yesterday was cool, clammy and crampy. My teenage son failed to come home the night before. He's never done that on a school night, so I spent parts of my designated sleep time lying awake in bed imagining him dead in a ditch, floating face down in the lake or beaten to a pulp in some remote and unreachable dark field. I also imagined the police showing up at my door with the bad news. I finally located my unfettered by anxiety darling at approximately 7:30 am when the mother of the friend woke him up to my lecture by phone. Little fucker. The rest of the day I suffered from cramps and a headache. Wah. After a cranky soak in the local pool with my youngest, who I must say was acting most uncharming by whacking me with pool noodles, dumping water over my head, and kicking me in the face while swimming, we had a mediocre dinner surrounded by old folks talking loudly about Dorris and her piano lessons and how deliciously wonderful the 1970's inspired salad bar was. I have to say it was one of the strangest days I have had in quite a while. At the end of this most "unpretty" blip in the history of my life, while lying in bed beside little Violet, I sighed a sigh of sweet relief when I realized that she was asleep. I looked over at her and saw her beautiful eyelashes on her beautiful little face and realized that life aint so bad. I would have liked to take a photo of those pretty lashes in all of their sleeping glory, but it was dark and I was cozy and the camera was downstairs. So there. I found yesterdays pretty. It was at the very end of the day when I thought all hope was lost, but better late than never.

1 comment:

  1. great post Fiona... oh the lashes... margaret atwood once referred to babies as vampires with long eye lashes... lol. have you ever noticed how lovely a blue sapphire bottle can be... that soft shade of blue, the sweet herbal engravings... cheers!

    ReplyDelete